Family 2020

Family 2020
Family Christmas 2020. Love these people so much!

Monday, January 4, 2010

Watch and Wait

In the early years of my marriage, my husband did some traveling with his job. I remember waiting for him at the airport terminal (before the days of 911, when you could watch the planes taxi up to the concourse) on one particularly memorable occasion.
As the door opened to release the disembarking passengers, a family - Dad, Mom, 2 kids - stood up from their waiting area chairs and stared anxiously at the folks filing through the door. The "family" began to make their way slowly toward the stream of passengers, closer and closer, until they were fairly blocking the way, while the frustrated travelers had to sidestep around them to get past. Then the Mom began trying to discreetly catch the tears that were sliding down her cheeks. Her body began to tremble with anticipation. I was caught up in the drama (no one could miss it) when the one for whom they had been watching and waiting appeared in the opening: Grandma! Now the terminal was completely blocked as the 5 bodies became one giant happy hugging, crying blob.
I witnessed this scene at least 20 years ago, but I think of it every time I read verses such as "Watch therefore, for you know not what hour your Lord does come" (Matt 24:42), and "Let us watch and be sober" (1 Thess. 5:6).
When I was a teenager, I was not anxious for Christ to return. In fact, I had a lot of living to do before I left this world, or so I thought. But over the years, I have found myself pressing closer and closer to the window and longing more intently for Heaven. I have 3 little boys waiting for me there, along with many other loved ones (and yes, even a grandma!). More importantly, I have realized that all the "living" I had wanted to do in this dying world is nothing compared to the living I will do in the next world! I am now to the point of standing in the doorway, watching and waiting, yearning and praying for the return of Christ. Come quickly, Lord Jesus!
"For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord." (1Thes. 4:16-17)

Whatever trial or sorrow you are facing today, remember:
It Didn't Come to Stay, It Came to Pass!

No comments: