Family 2020

Family 2020
Family Christmas 2020. Love these people so much!

Monday, March 2, 2009

Missing the Party

When I was raising 5 kids under 8 years of age, I always missed the party. By the time I found everyone's shoes and socks, and sent everyone to the bathroom twice, and packed the diaper bag, the event was over. And besides that, it would be naptime, or time to start supper. I felt as if life was passing me by, and I was missing out on all the fun.

Many days we did nothing but survive at home. We might spend a whole day folding a pile of clothes. Outings were, for the most part, more trouble than they were worth. In desperation, I made one simple goal for my family: "grow up!"
I celebrated every move toward independence. If a child could feed himself, dress himself, and handle himself with the shower and toilet, I was one step closer to the party. We set age markers for every activity in the house:
"When you turn 3, you graduate from the high chair to a big chair at the table."
"When you turn 4, you no longer have to take naps, just a quiet time."
"When you turn 5, you no longer have to wear Pull-Ups to bed."
"When you turn 7, you may serve yourself at the table."
"When you turn 8, you may wash your own hair."

When my first born grew taller than me, I cheered! We are going to make it!
When my second born grew taller than me, I rejoiced! It won't be long now! Party time is just around the corner!
When my third born grew taller than me, I cried! My heart caught in my throat! How did this happen?! I really had imagined that I would always have a puddle of little chidren at my feet. I thought that when I got a few of them on their own, so to speak, I would be able to really enjoy the younger ones. But surprise! They were all growing up at the same time! I realized at that moment that perhaps - - - - - I had missed the party.
Don't wait for someday when the children are less trouble and less work to enjoy them! Believe me you will never regret missing your Sunday School class party, or the big sale at the hobby store. Relish the days spent at home interacting with and teaching the little ones. Soon, you will swap naps for college applications. Diapers and storybooks will be replaced by hormones and heartaches. In a very few years, this chapter of your life will be over and you don't want to miss the party.

Remember, it didn't come to stay, it came to pass.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good advice, I need to remember that myself. You're a good writer.

~ Lisa @ AbidingThere~ said...

Welcome to blogland :)

This is a really great reminder. Thank you!

MOMSWEB said...

Kim, this is awesome. Thank you for sharing your heart!

MOMSWEB said...

Kim, this is awesome! Thanks for sharing your heart.

Unknown said...

Well said! Welcome to the blogoshere.

Winks & Smiles,
Wifey

Vickie said...

Hi Kim welcome to the world of blogging.

My son just turned 14 yesterday and he caused me to think of a time when I felt so burdened. I thought they would never grow up. Now I sometimes wish for those moments when they were younger and needed me. He spent his birthday with his friends.
My daughter will be 17 in a few months and it's a bit scary realizing how close to 20 that is, but I am enjoying them where they are.

Blessings,
Vickie